Back Back

How To Get A Council Tax Reduction

Bills of all kinds continue to spiral out of control for many at the moment because of the cost of living crisis,  leading to further financial difficulties as a result… and now it seems that added pressure may soon be on the horizon, with councils around the country planning to increase council tax bills.

Research published back in February by the County Councils Network (1) revealed that three-quarters of councils around England have plans in place to increase taxes by the maximum amount this month (April).

Council leaders have said that, while they recognise the pressures now facing people because of the cost of living situation, they have little choice but to put forward maximum tax rises in order to set balanced budgets and fund vital local services for households.

The average Band D council tax household will see their bills climb by 4.99 per cent, which will mean they have to pay an extra £99 a year. Typical Band D bills for rural county residents is now more than £2,000 a year, climbing to £2,149 on average with this 4.99 per cent hike.

Can you get council tax reduced?

There are various circumstances that could mean you’re eligible for a reduction in your council tax bills and it could certainly be worth investigating if you are worried about the prospective bill increases this month.

Council tax exemptions typically depend on who lives in your property and how the property is used. For example, properties are exempt if all the residents are full-time students or under the age of 18, or if you’re living with someone else for care-related reasons (such as age, illness, disability or mental health conditions).

Council tax is calculated based on the assumption that two adults live in a property as their main home. If there’s only one resident, then the bill is reduced by 25 per cent, which is known as the single-person discount.

However, some people are not classified as a second resident even if they live in the house and these are known as disregarded persons, so you may still qualify for the single-person discount if you’re in this living situation.

Disregarded people include student nurses, apprentices studying for recognised qualifications, those under the age of 25 in approved training or an 18 or 19-year-old in full-time education.

You may also be eligible for a council tax reduction of up to 100 per cent if you’re on a low income, although every local council will have different criteria in this regard and the size of reduction will depend on your income, savings and whether you live alone.

There are many other ways in which you may qualify for a reduction in your bills so it’s certainly worth doing some further research to see what can be achieved in this regard, helping to ease pressure on your finances at this difficult and challenging time.

If you are struggling with debt at the moment and think you could benefit from talking to a debt management advisory service, get in touch with us today to see how we can help.



Money Helper has replaced the Money Advice Service and brings together the support and services of three government-backed financial guidance providers: the Money Advice Service, the Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise.